Re: Opinions on Online Tech Writing Courses

Subject: Re: Opinions on Online Tech Writing Courses
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:53:51 -0800

<lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com> wrote in message news:222441 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
<snip>
> I apologize if the above paragraph includes stuff you already know, but
> these are the first things I look for when interviewing candidates. Many
> candidates fail even when they have years of experience. If I have to
choose
> between someone who has no experience in, say, telecommunications, but who
> knows how to use the sw, and someone who has years of experience, but
> creates docs with design errors, I will always choose the inexperienced
> person. Problems in document design create enormous problems for those who
> have to update and maintain your documents after you've moved on to other
> projects.

This advice flies in the face of many other list denizens (but most
certainly not all), who say that technical inexperience is a major stumbling
block. With ever-tighteneing budgets, companies down't want to bring new
writers up to spped on their technologies. More and more companies are
demanind that technical writers have experience with their products and
technologies.

Personally, I may spend a few weeks or months learning a new technology (and
my education and experience allows me to ramp up faster than some), I've
spent years learning how to write and to structure and design information so
that it can be found by users when they most need it (and I indicate so in
cover letters).

> In your cover letter, write something like, "I have attached
sample_doc.pdf,
> which demonstrates my ability to use the desktop publishing software and
> write instructions that are easy to understand."

I would never attach a writing sample if it is not asked for. However, I
might add a link to samples.

> If you make it to the interview stage with your well-designed sample book
> and you still don't get the job, then you probably had a problem in the
> editing test.
>
> If the editing test is a short paragraph, assume that the person who
> presents it to you is the person who wrote it. This type of editing test
> tests your diplomatic skills as much as it tests your writing skills.

While I've never taken an editing test, my "diplomatic skills" would be
along the lines of "It doens't matter to me who wrote this. My goal is to
make it as good as possible for whoever's going to be using it."
User-centered content design is far, for more important than anyone's ego
(even mine).

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and break
all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com