Re: Opinions on Online Tech Writing Courses

Subject: Re: Opinions on Online Tech Writing Courses
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:44:58 -0800

"K H" <elgar1934 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message news:222394 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Hello! I am a new list member....
<snip>
> 3. I have around 10 years of editorial,
> communications, and writing experience, but no
> specific education in tech writing (I have an English
> degree). In the past, I have found that people refuse
> to consider me for a tech writing position, even
> though I have years of very closely related education
> and work experience. Do you think a few online tech
> writing courses would help me overcome this?

I don't mean to be too much of a wet blanket, but it is Friday....

First, people with 10 years or more of _tech writing_ experience are not
being considered these days. There is a huge glut of talent on the market
right now.

Second, the best technical writers are as good at the "technical" part as
they are at the "writing" part. From what I've seen of certificate programs
(and this probably holds true for online as well as brick-and-mortar), they
focus on how to write and edit technical material for audiences who need to
find information, plus teaching how to use one or more industry-standard
authoring tools. Failure to provide a solid grounding in the "technical"
side of the discipline would be a significant shortcoming in any program.
Certificate programs also tend to lack internship programs, which provide
valuable field experience.

Good writing is only the beginning. I was writing for more than 10 years,
and doing it well without the benefit of any degree, before I even entered a
Technical Communication degree program. I think hiring managers are getting
more focused; used to be few courses would get you hired not only as a
technical writer, but as QA, a programmer, etc. Warm bodies were needed to
fill intense demand. No more.

Ask yourself if a "few online" courses would qualify you to ba a programmer,
an architect, a stockbroker, a nurse, or any number of other fields that
require a high level of training, sometimes in multiple areas, to do well.

That's not to say it can't be done. But technical writing is a very
different discipline than punching out a feature article for publication.
It's a career, not a hobby. Use that thought to help drive your decison
about what you want to do and how best to undertake it.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and break
all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com