Re: Help! A positive phrase for "non-Web application"?

Subject: Re: Help! A positive phrase for "non-Web application"?
From: JX <techwrl-list-only -at- doitall -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:58:59 -0500

> The term I hear consistently in the Windows world is "desktop application."
> Wouldn't that work elsewhere, too?
>
> --David

In many contexts, yes.

However, if you are running a 10,000 Sun Workstation and running a GUI Java
application launched from the command line at the headquarters to your
company, you might not think of it as a desktop application. I need a phrase
that also counts this situation, since such an app will not rely on HTML and
HTML image tags.

I'm currently leaning towards "non-browser application" because it is 99%
correct for my use and because of my distaste for capitalizing "Web"* which
makes the phrase "non-Web application" look silly to my eyes. I haven't
heard a 'positive' phrase that I like better yet. If you think of more
possibilities, please send them along. :-)

-- JX

* I strictly follow (but strongly disagree with) the standard industry
practice on capitalizing Web, World Wide Web, and Internet. Again, I do the
"standard" capitalization, I just think it's silly and inconsistent with how
we treat other technical terms -- not capitalizing Radio, Satellite Phone,
Phone Network, Telegraph System -- and capitalizing Internet even when we
mean "TCP/IP network that may or may not be an intranet, depending on
usage".

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com