Re: PC World RTFM

Subject: Re: PC World RTFM
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:35:40 -0500

Far more irritating than poorly written/translated documents is the computer
industry's incessant stupidity of thinking web help is of any use what-so-ever
at the moment you would actually need the help.

In the referenced article: "For example, in the case above, you could get
assistance by going to the NVidia Web site, which provides an excellent animated
walk-through for those who need a more detailed (and compre­hensible) guide to
installing a graphics card."

What use is an animated web based help for installing a graphics card if your
computer is in pieces and the graphics card isn't yet installed? About as useful
as the half-arsed prerecorded message at many help desks saying that e-mail
submitted help tickets are more efficient. I'M CALLING BECAUSE MY E-MAIL ISN'T
WORKING!

ISPs with on-line help? Um, if I'm having ISP problems, what's the likelihood
that I can connect to check the help files.

And the whole idea that I have to pay monthly internet fees and do my own
footwork to get required updates to software.

And if you call support, you're charged first and then have to argue to have the
charge eliminated. How about investigating the problem and then telling the
client if they'll be charged to get the answer if it isn't free.

If you ask me, the quagmire of computer industry customer service goes far
beyond a simple case of badly written/translated documentation.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com