Using Indesign as source for online help?

Subject: Using Indesign as source for online help?
From: anubix -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 22:27:14 -0700

Sorry if this is a duplicate message. I didn't see my original one
posting.

So, we boght InDesign CS for desktop publishing. We are a small software
development company and have to do mostly everything inhouse. we dont
have a tech writer and I'm doing all aspects of publishing the
documentation for the app. User guides were previously done in Word, but
grew to big and cumbersome to manage the many sub-documents. I already
started converting the manuals to InDesign and find it very nice and easy
to use, once you have all the layout guide lines specified.

Our help file was create a few years ago in Doc-to-help 2000. We don't
have the disk anymore and cannot install the software. The company was
bough by Component One and right now all we can do is buy the new one
which is too expensive, plus, I just plain, don't like it.

My questions to you are:
1. how can I use the InDesign source file as source for the help system?
Is there an InDesign plug-in for making help files?

2. Which help authoring system is best, easiest to use, that will let me
make context-sensitive help also easy.

I have many other things to do everyday and cannot spend more than a few
weeks for both projects, manuals and help file.

Thanks, and please pardon my grammar. I'm not a tech writer for real, I
just play one on TV.

Jannice

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com