Re: FrameMaker 7.1 announcement

Subject: Re: FrameMaker 7.1 announcement
From: jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:11:03 -0700

I too lament Adobe's abandonment of FM on the Mac.

That being said, I love InDesign--as a design tool, it rocks! Chuck, feel
free to contact me off line to discuss any help I might be able to give
you.

As far as story editing is concerned, I've never felt the need for
it...although the latest version does use a PageMaker-like story editor
(dare I say they imported PM 7's story editor? Maybe someone else knows).
The great control over styles, the inheritance model you can use with
styles, and the excellent placement control for frames and graphics all
help me do my work. And it's OS X-native, too!

As far as runarounds are concerned, clipping paths are probably your best
friend. That means bringing your graphic up in Photoshop (or Canvas
or...), creating the clipping paths, and placing into InDesign.

Yes, cross-referencing is the pits. Too, para numbering blows as well. Yet
I understand the latest version fixes some of this.

Bottom line: bring in FM's big document features, its cross-referencing
and book building, and I'd be happy(er).

joe

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com