Re: Mif2Go

Subject: Re: Mif2Go
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:44:41 -0500

At 09:01 AM +0200 2003-12-04, Rakefet Zadik wrote:

Does anyone have experience using Mif2Go?
Can you share your impressions?

Is it user-friendly?

Pretty much. You do need a basic understanding of both the MIF format and the format you're converting to, but the application itself was pretty easy to set up and use.

Is it easy to work with?

Yes.

Do you use it for converting?

Of course. That's what it's for.

Single-sourcing?

Occasionally. Mostly I use it for MIF-to-doc conversions when my clients want deliverables in Word format but aren't happy with my estimates for doing the whole document development in Word on a Windows platform*.

Creating on-line help?

Only done that once. It was OK, but I haven't had a lot of experience actually coding traditional online Help (mostly, I've just created the content or used Dreamweaver to put together an HTML-based Help system) so any inefficiencies were probably due to the tool user and not the tool.

How is it compared to RoboHelp?

It doesn't. Unless I'm missing something significant, Mif2go is a format conversion tool, not a proprietary Help development tool. Not the same thing at all.

--
K@
* While some all-WinWord projects go very smoothly indeed, others---especially ones with client reviewers who don't understand Word styles and other quirks---can involve too much troubleshooting, file corruption and re-work to allow me to be comfortable with my normal method of estimating projects.

The all-development-in-[tool x] surcharge is based on my time records from 16 years experience with documentation projects using various combinations of word processing and page layout tools. I can pull out pretty much any combination of tools and get a feel for how much those particular tools will shorten or lengthen the doc development time requirements. If the client insists on specifying the actual development tools, that's fine. I'll work in whatever tools the client specifies. But, unless they agree to a straight hourly rate, I figure the per-project estimate based on my personal best-practice methods, and then add the appropriate surcharge for whatever client-specified tool combination is required.

Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting
http://www.masterworkconsulting.com

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com