Tracking document complexity?

Subject: Tracking document complexity?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:47:33 -0500

Christine Anameier notes: <<My conclusion was *not* that "no measurement of
documents is valid." As I said in my post, measuring customer satisfaction
and/or user reliance on support could give us a valid measurement of
documentation quality. What I *did* suggest in my post was that the easiest
ways to quantify tech writer output--number of words, number of pages, hours
per page--are also the most meaningless.>>

That's for sure. For a longer-winded version of exactly the same statement,
redeemed by some suggestions on how to metricize effectively, see: Hart, G.
2002. Practical, effective metrics must solve problems. DocQment, the
newsletter of STC's Quality SIG. Sept. 2002.
www.stcsig.org/quality/NL0902A.html

--Geoff Hart, ghart -at- [delete]videotron -dot- ca
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"For what I have published, I can only hope to be pardoned; but for what I
have burned, I deserve to be praised."--Alexander Pope

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com