Re: WORD inquiry?

Subject: Re: WORD inquiry?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:32:25 -0500

Hart, Geoff wrote:

Yup. Start by opening the document and moving a copy of the departmental
template into the Templates directory for your version of Word. (In older
versions, it was C\programs\microsoft office\templates but it may have
changed in Word 2002.) If the template is on the network and can't be moved
or copied, open the Tools menu, select Templates and Add-ins, then select
and "attach" the template on your network. Same result, but longer path.

A trick I use for all MS Office templates:

Because different people are using different MS operating systems and different versions of Office on differently configured PCs (some have Office on D: rather than C: for example), I can't point folks to a particular path. The instructions I give people when I distribute a template are simple and they work for everyone.

1. Double-click the template.

2. File > Save As

3. In the Save As dialog, select Save as Type to be Document Template (*.dot) [in the case of Word]. The default directory in the Save As dialog automatically switches to the location where Word looks for templates.

4. Give the template a name YOU will remember and save it.

In the future, when you choose File > New, you will be able to select the new template from a widget that shows all of your templates. Do not use Ctrl+N to open a new Word document, as this does not open the template selection widget.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com