Re: Did they really mean ,,, ? Colour blind or plain insensitive?

Subject: Re: Did they really mean ,,, ? Colour blind or plain insensitive?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:52:29 -0500

From: "KG Kumar" <kg -at- tug -dot- org -dot- in>

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:06:27 -0500, Bonnie Granat wrote
>
> > A "knockout" question? Lots of people are color blind. It happens. I
> > meant no offense. One explanation for confusion might have been that
> > the poster was color-blind. That's why I asked the question.
>

> I'm truly sorry for raking this up, Bonnie, and apologies to you personally
> and to the list for sounding needlessly peevish. It's obvious from your
> subsequent posts that you meant no offense at all and had asked the question
> in good faith and out of a sense of responsibility. It's just that on first
> reading, your initial question seemed rather abrubt and insensitive. Perhaps
> it could have been phrased in a more gentle fashion. In an age when "short"
> ought to be "vertically challenged" and "fat" should be "adipose enhanced",
> to question someone's colour blindness (or any other physical/mental
> challenge) appeared to be politically incorrect. But you're absolutely right -
> - these are facts of life that can't be wished away and ought to be faced.
>
> Once again, apologies for raising a storm in a teacup.

No problem, Kumar. Thank you. Indeed, perhaps I could have said "Do you have a
problem distinguishing colors?" Now, I will have to disagree with you about the
remainder of what you wrote, because when I put on a few pounds in the winter, I
am definitely NOT adipose enhanced! ; )

Bonnie Granat
http://www.granatedit.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com