Has anyone used this PDF writer

Subject: Has anyone used this PDF writer
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:28:07 +0100

> "Robert J. Dianetti" <radcom -at- alltel -dot- net>
> >I found what looks like a great tool on the internet for creating PDFs from
> >just about any application. Its called pdf995.

Hi,
yes, I tried it.
It works like a printer driver. So you can choose it in the printing dialog as a printer.
The quality of the results was good, but the results have some limitations. You need extra tools to include bookmarks. (At least in the version, I used last year.)

The home page of pdf995 says:

"The default configuration of Pdf995 uses the registered Postscript to PDF converter on your system, but you may choose to have the program use the GPL Conversion module we offer as a free download. The GPL Conversion module includes a partial version of GNU Ghostscript. Pdf995 supports other Postscript-to-PDF converters. GNU Ghostscript is distributed under the GNU General Public License. You may obtain the source code for GNU Ghostscript here."

You see, it may use Ghostscript for the conversion process and connects it as printer driver.
It did not provide bookmarks, when I tried it a last year.
But there may be other software to set up bookmarks. I do not know, whether the current version provides the translation of bookmarks and hyperlinks.

An alternative is freepdf http://www.shbox.de/freepdf.htm , but there is only a German version, as far as I see.

Another one is
pdf ghostscript tool 1.1.2 popular
http://download.com.com/3000-2088-10143617.html

PDF Zone http://www.pdfzone.com/toolbox/toolfilter.html provides a search tool, where you can find several solutions, depending on the platform.

If you like pdf995, it is ok. It is not too expensive to buy it, when the nag screen disturbs you.

Best regards
Bernd

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com