Re: PDF resumes for tech writing gigs (was: T-letter, a good, good, thing.)

Subject: Re: PDF resumes for tech writing gigs (was: T-letter, a good, good, thing.)
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:02:07 -0500

> It's common practice for recruiters to delete your direct contact
information
> from your resume and replace it with their own, so that their client
companies
> can't take the resume they receive from the recruiter, contact the
candidate
> directly and tell the recruiter, "Oh, him/her. We already have that
resume on
> file. Sorry, no commission for you."

I usually put a copyright notice at the bottom of my resume ("May not be
altered without permission..."). If they want to change it, they have to
call me and tell me what they plan to change. At any rate, I always hand my
real resume to the interviewer first thing.

I started doing this after an incident years ago where an interviewer peered
at my resume and said triumphantly "You have a typo in your resume..." I
looked at the resume and said "That's not my resume" - it had been rekeyed
by the recruiter.

Mike O.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com