PDF resumes for tech writing gigs (was: T-letter, a good, good, thing.)

Subject: PDF resumes for tech writing gigs (was: T-letter, a good, good, thing.)
From: "Andrea Brundt" <andrea_w_brundt -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:38:50 -0500

Dick wrote:

"No condescension intended--just annoyance and frustration that the people
I've encountered in that field are too frightened of their computers to
download and install a free reader. I'm glad your experience has been
better."

I've never had an HR person refuse a PDF resumes. However, one group of
people I've found extremely reluctant to accept PDF resumes is headhunters.
I've had several tell me they "can't read a PDF with their computer", and
could I please send an MS Word file.

Unless all headhunters aree using VIC20's, there must be something else
afoot. I've always assumed it's because the headhunters wanted to be able to
modify my resume, adding buzzwords that will allow them to add me to their
list of candidates. I'm sure there must be plenty of ethical headhunters out
there, so perhaps I'm being too cynical.

Best regards,
Andrea

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com