RE: Compensation and productivity?

Subject: RE: Compensation and productivity?
From: Kate Robinson <KRobinson -at- seattle -dot- telecomsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:31:24 -0800

> ...What I'm wondering, though, is at a more personal
> level. In your experience, does better pay increase your
> productivity? Has it improved the productivity of other
> tech writers you know?

I think at a personal level, it probably doesn't improve my productivity to
receive $3,000 more per year. It is more pleasant and interesting for me
personally to be productive than to slack.

However, on a group level, a company that highballs rather than lowballs its
salary ranges can hire the most productive writers, who also (in my
experience) are the best at finding efficient ways to work together.
Therefore, overall productivity is higher.

Kate Robinson
TechComm Editor
Alaska Building / 206-792-2146
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves,
or we know where we can find information on it.
-- Samuel Johnson, quoted in Boswell's Life of Johnson

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com