Re: Globalization vs exploitation

Subject: Re: Globalization vs exploitation
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:01:47 -0800 (PST)

Carol,

It is *not* the same issue. Hiring *illegal* workers is not at all the same as hiring under the prevailing wages of the workplace locale. In addition, it is my understanding that the workers in question were not paid even the federal standard minimum wage.

Legal workers have various legal protections, as you know, which *illegal* immigrants do not avail themselves of for fear of deportation.

It is yet to be seen the extent to which WalMart was aware of the situation. If they are guilty, they will be punished. We simply do not know enough yet to judge that part of the situation--and I am not sure that the New York Times is an "authoritative source" in light of their own problems with reporting standards...but even if they are careful in reporting the case, there will still be much yet to come out.

However, California is a stirling example of a State in which basic economics has often been ignored--and Californians will pay the price for decades to come in terms of a much poorer economy for it. Whether you or I like it or not, many econimic realities cannot simply be legislated.

David

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com