Re: Forehelp and Robohelp

Subject: Re: Forehelp and Robohelp
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:52:56 -0800

Considering that Forehelp is essentially dead but just not yet
buried, transitioning away from it is, yes. Whether you want
to go to RH or consider some other authoring tool, staying
with Forehelp will eventually put you in a situation where
you're trying to deal with something the product wasn't
designed to handle and there's no hope of getting any updates
or support (not to mention the fact that with the passing of
time and turnover, you'll increasingly find candidates and
vendors looking at you as if you just asked if they know
Displaywrite 4 when you ask them about possible experience
with Forehelp). If everyone seems open to making a change
now, it's better to evaluate new tools while the window of
opportunity is open rather than wait until you're in some
critical situation where the change really is a "dumping"
rather than a migration.

Gene Kim-Eng

<Eisbruchs -at- aol -dot- com> wrote in message news:218717 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Hi,
> I'm taking over the online documentation
> for a company that's produced their online help
> in Forehelp. But the online help has been
> neglected for a while. The company is surprised to
> learn that Forehelp has gone out of business, and
> they are open to changing over
> to Robohelp. Unfortunately, I don't
> have experience with either Forehelp or
> Robohelp. (I created online help for
> a Unix software system once using FrameMaker.)
> So I need to ask you all:
> Is dumping Forehelp in favor of
> Robohelp a good idea?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com