Re: CE Mark?

Subject: Re: CE Mark?
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:51:54 +0000

Aimee,

I have lost the link recently, but there is a European Community Website that gives access to all regulations, by product type I believe. I was involved with fork-lift trucks a while ago and there are CE regulations for operation manuals for these, which include requirements for safe usage instruction.

I can't see the need, off the top of my head, for a second chapter. But you need to view that from an information designperspective in your particular situation. If your product manager is such a 'smart 'mule'', does he know that operating instructions have to be provided in a language easily read by the operator?

Become an expert on the rquirements (it could take a couple of hours of internet research) and point out the shortcomings of his blunt request, then perhaps he'll take you seriously - once he's cleared the blood off his nose (English metaphor, not incitement to abuse!)

Happy hunting,
Ant

Aimee Hall wrote:

My company has recently begun selling products in Europe, and one of our
product managers has requested several changes to our operation manuals,
which he says are required to meet CE requirements. His suggestions don't seem to make any sense (for example, he wanted to add a second "Safety" chapter...)
I'm sure his suggestions are based on some actual requirements, but filtered through his non-technical writer point of view, they are not helpful to me at all. I have been unsuccessful in persuading him to provide further details--he wants me to make the changes without any question.

Does anyone have any information on how CE certification may apply to
technical publications? General info, links, or other resources would be
appreciated. Thanks,
Aimee Hall

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com