Re: Documenting the Ordering Process

Subject: Re: Documenting the Ordering Process
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 11:27:03 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Plato" <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>

> More succinctly - tech writers are generally hired to explain how things are,
> not how they would like things to be.

I don't think that's not necessarily the case in this situation.
If "document the ordering process so it can be audited" is an
accurate description of the mission objective, then the goal
is not to document how things are, but rather how things are
*supposed* to be, so that there's a document of the "correct
process" to audit the real-life process against. Of course,
that's not how the tech writer would like things to be, but
how whoever's in charge of the process would like them to
be. My impression is that the boss' comment about "fueling the
economy" means that it's not working as desired, and that the
remark about the double customs fees further represents the
boss' dissatisfaction with the existing process, rather than the
comments of the posting tech writer.

But the thing about this post that's the most unclear to me is its
point. Is it just to bemoan an unhappy situation, or are we being
asked for advice?

Gene Kim-Eng

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com