Re: Microsoft wants journalists, not tech writers?

Subject: Re: Microsoft wants journalists, not tech writers?
From: Sean Wheller <seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:56:04 -0800 (PST)

--- Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com> wrote:
> Whatever your opinion of journalists, they're cut
> from the same cloth we
> are, and many journalism majors (no, I wasn't one)
> have the skills to
> make excellent technical writers.
>
> Mike

Well said. I don't have any journalistic background,
but as a writer I think that I should make the effort
to acquire journalistic skills. The same goes for any
form of writing. It can only be to my benefit.

I think that this is a very positive step from MS. Not
everyone here seems to think so. Perhaps they feel
that another lot of job opportunities have just been
placed out reach. What with the current feelings on
off-shoring and the state of the economy, it can be a
bit scary.

The old cliche "If you can't beat them, join them."
may be a wise and more positive approach in this case.
After all, no person has mentioned convincing reason
as to why MS is making a mistake.

Somewhere in Redmond there must be a tech pubs
director or executive. I don't think that person gets
paid the big bucks for not knowing what they are
doing.

MS has always been very seductive. So perhaps some
journalistic flair will add the sex appeal required to
convince the users or even revitalize the current
users distaste for reading the manuals or the olh.
Perhaps we can learn something here.

So, something to watch ... more power to the
journalists.

Sean Wheller

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com