Re: need advice: question 4 you

Subject: Re: need advice: question 4 you
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:36:01 -0800 (PST)

> We are two tech writers here at my company. I write
> software and am
> supervised under the Hardware manager. My colleague
> who is writes hardware
> is also under him. I think I should be under R&D?

Dunno. What does your HR department think?

> Another thing is, since our last version, we are not
> included in any design,
> R&D or other meetings anymore to let us know what
> changes are to be done to
> the documentation. I have already told my manager
> that we should be
> included. He took it as a mental note and that was
> the end of it.

Talk to the project owners and have them include you
on meeting notices. It shouldn't be your manager's job
to get you involved in your project team's
collaboration. That's your job.

> Now, how can we both get information when we're
> never included in anything
> anymore? We are in a release yet both my colleauge
> and I havent gotten any
> work for the past month. Any ideas why this is? Do
> we have to "run" to
> developers to get information? is this normal?

Normal? Yes. Necessary? No. Be proactive about your
involvement, and know who to contact for what. A
personnel manager manages people and department
issues. A project manager manages project and resource
issues. You, as the documentation resource, need to
talk to the project manager about getting info and
invites to meetings and such, and then you need to
follow up with developers on what work they've done
and what they plan on doing.

I'm sorry if this is not the answer you were looking
for, but from my perspective, the ball's in your
court, not you manager's.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com