RE: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: RE: Adobe adds product activation
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

Can you clarify this?

--- Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com> wrote:

> > Actually Goober's reply was on the money, even if
> it was a
> > little brusque... MS products have different
> licensing terms;
> > you really do have to read the EULA to find out.
> >

> But I assume he KNOWS what the answer is, otherwise
> he would not have wasted
> the bandwidth with a reply.

His reply was for you to read the EULA. Won't that
answer your question?

> And the reason I have
> not read any of the msft
> UELA's in the first place is that 1) I don't believe
> in them

Meaning, they are like unicorns or Santa Claus? Or,
that you open the packet and install the software and
do not agree to the terms? And, if the latter, then
why ask the question, why not just do whatever you
want?

> 2) it doesn't
> matter what I think about what it says, msft Word
> (or Project or Excel or
> Access or whatever) is the program I _have_ to use
> at that time, and no
> matter how offensive the UELA, I'm going to use it.

That's a practical approach, I guess, but legally
shakey.

> Or to put it another
> way, I have no choice.

There is always a choice. Just don't use the software.
Go get OpenOffice, or throw your computer away and use
pen and paper.

Cheers,

Sean

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com