Re: Windows version number references in docs

Subject: Re: Windows version number references in docs
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:27:01 -0700

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote in message
news:216903 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> In other words, is the reputation truly deserved? That's my question.
> Admittedly, I am asking the wrong people, but I thought it was worth a
shot
> anyway. It appears that my question has allowed some to vent feelings of
> intense hostility, so perhaps it isn't worthless entirely, even if I've
asked
> the wrong audience.

If you have the time, read some of the past issues of Woody's Office Watch
or Woody's Windows watch, or some of the other useful Windows-based
newsletters. You can find years of past issues at both www.wopr.com and
www.woodyswatch.com, I believe.

Also read Woody Leonhard's "The Hacker's Guide to Word for Windows." Either
edition. When you see just how many bugs were found in just one product,
frustrating bugs, annoying bugs, pull-your-hair-out bugs, then multiply that
by the number of products produced, you'll begin to understand just how
Microsoft has culled such a reputation--and how the company attempts to spin
the facts.

And many of us do indeed know just how many products Microsoft produces, or
bought to sell. It's far, far more than just an OS and Office applications.
(For my part, when I worked there as a technical support rep, I always
thought that the dream PSS job was working in the Flight Simulator group.)

But it's not hostility. It's reality. Many of us are technically savvy
enough to know better than to blindly accept Microsoft's claims of
consistently high quality when both our own personal experience and our
knowledge gleaned from reading other expert's exploits are evidence to the
contrary. Blind allegiance doesn't produce healthy discourse--or better
products.

That all said, the people who are loudest about flaws and shortcomings are
the ones who want most to see things fixed and work right. No one wants to
see Microsoft fail, or its products do badly.

But, to paraphrase a previous Microsoft marketing tagline: What Microsoft
product have you patched today?

Chuck Martin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com