Re: Freelance business practices questions

Subject: Re: Freelance business practices questions
From: Amy Smith/Westford/IBM <amy_smith -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:35:37 -0400

> Hello, I am also especially curious about the digital signature issue. I

> have a digital signature from someone and one of the grievance officers
> at the NWU, who is an attorney, said that electronic signatures aren't
> binding, but I'm not sure if I believe that....

If memory serves, digital signatures and electronic signatures are two
different things, I believe.

See the FDA's 21CFR11 requirements on the specifics. My understanding is
that a digital signature is used for PKI authentication and is a quantity
associated with a message that only someone with knowledge of your private
key could have generated, but which can be verified through knowledge of
your public key.

An electronic signature is a digital representation of your written
signature and is used on electronic messages. It does not prove that you
are the original sender of the message.

Amy
(standing by for corrections on this from fellow security writers) ;-)

Amy Smith
GPD Information Development
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
Phone 978.399.5009 | Tie line: 399.5009 | Email: amy_smith -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com
*****IBM Confidential******

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com