Re: Résumé help

Subject: Re: Résumé help
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:34:34 -0400

From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>

> "COVER LETTER: I saw your recent employment ad online and might be exactly
> the person you're looking for. I want this job. I've been looking for a job
> for a long time and am desperate to find a place where I can hang my hat,
> lose my umbrella, and apply my writing skills to a dynamic and
> forward-looking teem."

The above seems to be for a writer, not a programmer. (?)

Words to never use in a cover letter include:

- desperate
- anxious
- worry

Cover letters need to state how the prospective candidate can help the
prospective company achieve its goals. The candidate's goals should not be
mentioned. What the candidate brings to the company is all that matters.

> I've agreed to help a cow-orker punch up his résumé (he's a programmer, with
> exceptional potential in a number of IT fields). <snip>

See http://www.editors-writers.info/resume and download the Word doc (there's
a link on that page) and use it as a template (such as it is).

Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info
Fast | Accurate | Affordable