RE: credibility

Subject: RE: credibility
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:07:55 -0400

Nonsense... Successful people aren't waiting to be "allotted time" to build
their skills sets... They make the time, then they get involved in the
businesses that employ them... Doesn't matter if you're a programmer, tech
writer or éclair goo filler.

As Andrew, Goob, Bruce, Gene, Bonnie and I have been saying all along, it
doesn't matter what you THINK you deserve, it matters what you DO to earn
... respect, money, titles, whatever floats your boat. Initiative is the
hallmark of successful people in any profession. Being a team player is more
than a cliché, it's hard work, but I have always found it to be worth it in
the end.

I never lived in the ivory tower... I just think it has to be kind of boring
up there. So I just got in the trenches with the rest of the grunts and
proved that I offer A LOT more than documentation ability. In my next gig,
I'll likely have to start all over again, but it does seem to be taking less
time each go round to convince them that my job has a lot more to do with
successful products than "making it look pretty". I guess there's hope for
us yet.

Connie Giordano (who's hoping for an invitation to Goober's Ivory Patio
party)
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause I'm afraid
that we've been cheated here on Earth" - Clint Black "Galaxy Song"