RE: Linux documentation tools

Subject: RE: Linux documentation tools
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:52:02 -0400

If Sean Wheller's statements are true:

> The Editor and Tool Chain is not really a problem. The
> BIGGEST PROBLEM is changing the mindset of the Author
> or contributors. To do this you will have to show very
> real business and user benefit. Then you will have to
> train the authors/contributors.
>
> Fortunately Docbook is well documented, so training
> materials abound.

Then most of us will abandon all further research into
and consideration of these tools. The difficulties
inherent in retraining authors/contributors are the
very difficulties we were hoping to resolve by using
new tools that would enforce and impose structure.

Changing the tools is easy. Changing human behavior is
hard. (It is theoretically possible to train people to
use MS WORD to create well-structured documents that
can easily be used as parts of a single-source
repository.)

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com