RE: Linux documentation tools

Subject: RE: Linux documentation tools
From: Sean Wheller <seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 02:32:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

> Gilger.John [mailto:JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com] sez:
> >
> > DocBook HOWTO
> > http://www.ibiblio.org/godoy/sgml/docbook/howto/

This is not a good link. It's WOOD.

> As I recall, in my last (abortive) foray into those
> waters...
> about three years ago... one of the problems was
> that most/many
> of the recommended tools seemed to be about 3 years
> out of date.

The tool have been developed on a steady basis for
about 15 - 35 years. The new XML standards are
sometime experimental implementations, such as Xerces
with XInlcude.

> Hmm. Plus ça change, ni ça change.
>
> Yeah, I know... I'm looking for easy answers. This
> time, I have

There is no easy answer. In another thread we spoke
about Linux Users and their information requirements.
I think this is another difference between Windows
Users and Linux Users. Linux Users don't expect easy
answers.

> Assuming that a working setup is achieved in Linux,
> what would
> be a good tool or tool-set for an occasional
> contributor to
> use in Windows, that would not screw up anything in
> the Linux work flow?

NOT ASSUMING. Working setups are available for
Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, UNIX, etc. The tools have no
baring on the work flow. They are just tools.

> I'm thinking of an editor or other input
> tool that
> would let an occasional author contribute text to
> larger projects,

XML is an open standard. Any XML Editor can be used
alternately, use Notepad. Please see
http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookAuthoringTools

> while enforcing some structure and tagging
> discipline.

I think you miss the point of a DTD/XSD. A DocBook
Document Type conforming to the rules of XML, XML,
SGML, RELAX NG, and W3C XML Schema by default implies
enforced structure and tagging discipline.

What varies is the degree to which you decide to
enforce markup standards.

> This would
> likely be somebody who has never met emacs, and
> doesn't have
> a lot of time to learn it. (For example, none of our
> developers
> uses emacs -- they're all vi people, apparently.)

Emacs is great. Please understand that Linux users
have great affection for Emacs, but it is not the only
Editor.
http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookAuthoringTools

If you don't have the time or inclination to download
the tool chain, just download the Oxygen XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com or XXE
http://www.xmlmind.com. Both bundle docbook DTD/XSL
and tool chains. Both are Java and therefore
cross-platform.

> Most people who
> might contribute don't even use vi. They'd be Word
> users.

There is nothing wrong with a person using Word. So
long as the save their file as Valid and Well-Formed
XML. The Editor and the Tool Chain are different but
loosely interconnected pieces of technology. When
combined with XML, they become a very powerful
authoring solution.

I can virtually guarantee that many of your current
publishing problems will be solved.

> The
> response to a request to use emacs to create a
> document would
> be "You're kidding!" or something much less polite.

I think you really need to research the subject in
greater detail. Some of your perceptions indicate that
you have not taken the time to investigate.

> Yes, I'd probably end up doing all the tagging
> myself, so maybe
> I should just ask for Word or Notepad documents.

No Kevin. Please take the time to read the following
Web Sites.
http://www.docbook.org
http://docbook.sf.net
http://www.sagehill.net

The Editor and Tool Chain is not really a problem. The
BIGGEST PROBLEM is changing the mindset of the Author
or contributors. To do this you will have to show very
real business and user benefit. Then you will have to
train the authors/contributors.

Fortunatley Docbook is well documented, so training
materials abound.

Hope this helps.

Sean Wheller

http://shopping.yahoo.com