Re: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool

Subject: Re: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:40:14 -0700 (PDT)

Goober writer said, among other cogent and illuminating things:
"My prediction is that, over time, FM will become less
of a DTP-like application and more of a structured
print engine. XML can be passed in and out, and FM
will drive the page layout and PS setup... a big ol'
schema and xslt for press, so to speak."

Immediately prior to the Frame v.7 release, Adobe's CEO was interviewed and the interview was posted as streaming video on the web. In that interview, he stated that Frame's long doc functionality is to be folded into the InDesign code base, and that the Frame internal architecture is becoming simply too antiquated to be properly maintained and updated. (The marketing droids at Adobe went ballistic and quickly issued press releases saying their CEO was "mistaken"...go figure!)

Given that XML functionality is showing up there already, I think it could be a wonderful idea. With the one application, writers would be able to publish to all media--including the highest standards of type on paper presently available in a "DTP" product.

InDesign 2--which I've just used to create a brochure--is so far superior to Quark or PageMaker that it is taking over the print design business quickly. It also seems to create very nice HTML, from what little I've tested so far. Give it the long doc features of Frame and they *may* have a winner!

David

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com