RE: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool

Subject: RE: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:12:05 -0700 (PDT)

Wow, Sean. You certainly have a knack for killing
activity on a discussion list! ROFL!

> Nobody pays $1295 for WWP.

Some people do. They do so because they don't know
better. But yeah, you can upgrade from Standard to Pro
for about $950.

> (I still don't understand why Quadralay doesn't just
> set the price at $950

See above. ;)

> *Then, I am curious to know how Mustang works in a
> group of writers. --if you have a workgroup of 10
> authors writing in FrameMaker, use one (okay, maybe
> two ;?) seat of WWP 2003.

Right. Not everyone needs the filter. Designate a
couple people to push the button and be done with it.

> I am curious to know whether Mustang permits that
> same
> sort of workflow or if each of your 10 writers would
> need Mustang.

I'm curious about this as well.

> the potential is there for Mustang to cost
> 10 times what WWP costs, yes/no?

By my math, given every user might need a seat, the
cost would be a lot more, yes.

> Finally, what is Adobe doing? Are they upgrading FM?

We'll know a month before they release an upgrade. ;)
Actually, I've always hated that policy. It would be
nice to know what's going into an upgrade and roughly
when to expect it so we can plan our other
software/hardware purchases accordingly.

> know Quadralay is working with Adobe on some level,

Minimal. My understanding is that the SE app is
created based on the new version of FM and is
given/sold to Adobe. Quadralay has nothing further to
do with SE at that point; Adobe supports it.

> So, I come back to wondering, to what extent does
> pricing matter? Will eHelp be super-aggressive, what
> about support and first-version (and
> subsequent-version) stability? Certainly, eHelp has
> name recognition and maybe some FM+RoboHelp folks
> going for them ....

Pricing on this level has minimal impact. Some PHBs
will always look to the least expensive product as the
least expensive solution, but as you stated earlier,
the cheaper product doesn't always become the cheapest
solution.

Is it happy hour yet?

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com