Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills
From: sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:02:17 -0600

Hi everyone:

If I'm understanding the thread of this discussion correctly there seems
to be some debate regarding whether tech writers do (or should) be
required to take "technical courses". In my experience the curricula for
each program is quite different. Some require some element of technical
expertise and some don't. I live in a Western Canadian city where there
are several post secondary institutions-each of whom teach "technical
writing" in some way shape or form. The two major players are our local
university and our local college. I was accepted to both programs and
decided to take a four year Bachelor of Applied Communications Degree in
Technical Writing. I chose the college because it offered 1) practical
skills acquisition which were immediately applicable and marketable and 2)
practical *paid* work experience as part of the degree. Also we were
expected to develop an area of technical expertise (i.e. a
concentration/minor) such as medical technical writing, software
documentation etc. Actually, the software documentation option didn't
exist in reality until about 1/2 way through the program. I chose to focus
on developing expertise in the environmental area. As such I took science
courses to develop a good foundation in the principles, terminology etc.
of environmental science. I had the opportunity to work with a student
from the University program where they received zero practical skills
training. The difference? Was remarkable....like night and day. This gal
was a wonderful person but didn't even know the difference between a serif
and sans-serif font. Not her fault...but the fault of the Communications
program at the University. She, in fact, was considered an anomoly in her
program for "wanting" to participate in "work-terms" which is your
equivalent of internship. The difference between our respective knowledge
bases-especially in the area of practical skills application was
phenomenal.

So...I think I agree...if they aren't teaching or encouraging development
of "technical" expertise in a particular area...it would be more like a
"communications" program. There is a distinct difference between the
two...at least in my mind.

Sara Sue in Canada

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com