Re: About those technical skills - Was that H1B visa thingee

Subject: Re: About those technical skills - Was that H1B visa thingee
From: "Rick Bishop" <BishopR -at- jcdc -dot- jobcorps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:04:02 -0500

Jan: This is government sponsored wage controls coming out of the mouths of big corporations. The objective of current leadership is to "level the playing field" not by bringing workers in other locales up to US standards, but to lower you to theirs.
"cannot find enough U.S. workers with..." is straight BS. Have you looked at the unemployment rates lately? ( 5.9% )
This strategy has already worked in almost every area of blue & white collar manufacturing and will work on yours, too. In 20 years everyone here may be selling insurance or food to each other. Think IT can't go the way of steel, autos, petro-chem, and clothing?

This is not "Sharply Cut Number of Visas." This is actually a restoration of immigration limits that Congress tripled in 2000 to encourage the high wages of IT workers in the '90s to drop back down to more 'acceptable' levels. Looks like it worked.

>>> "Jan Cohen" <familyforever -at- mindspring -dot- com> 09/22/03 02:41PM >>>

Perhaps in-line with why so many jobs are being outsourced from the U.S.
Are our engineers really falling that far behind?
U.S. to Sharply Cut Number of High-Tech Visas
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030922/us_nm/life_usa_immigration_dc_4

An interesting comment by Patrick Duffy, Human Resources Attorney for Intel Corporation, who said "finding the best-educated engineering talent from around the world was critical to his company's future."

"We expect that we will continue to sponsor H-1B employees in the future for the simple reason that we cannot find enough U.S. workers with the advanced education, skills, and expertise we need," he said.

Jan C.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com