Re:Leaving Techwhirlers

Subject: Re:Leaving Techwhirlers
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:05:42 -0700 (PDT)

Michele Davis wrote:
> Just to add my two cents, I have been inundated with
> over 400 emails a day, including Spam. A firewall
> doesn't help you here people, ours certainly hasn't
> helped me. HOWEVER, this exploit is AT LEAST 9 months
> old which means you either:
> 1) Haven't updated your sw patches in the
> past 6 months
> or
> 2) Clicked on something you shouldn't have

Actually the worms are shooting emails to anybody with an email
address. The traffic volume is affecting the whole Internet and
lots of individual networks. Doesn't matter if you are infected
or clean, patched or unpatched, running Mac, Linux, or VMS, you
will get these emails if an infected) sender has your address.

The latest wave seems to have been initially launched with some
heavy-duty spamming tactics - i.e., a purchased/stolen mailing
list, which very possibly included your address to start with.
The address you use "only for techwr-l??" It's easily available
on Google (if you have ever posted) and probably has been
harvested thousands of times.

Me, I'm serenely unaffected on my SOHO network (running
SpamAssassin on my externally hosted mail server), but my Yahoo
account is getting hammered.

Maybe Eric will give use some raycomm stats when the smoke
clears. I'm sure he and every other admin are up to their a**es
in alligators this week.

Mike O.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com