Please take the Granularity Survey

Subject: Please take the Granularity Survey
From: JX <techwrl-list-only -at- doitall -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:09:59 -0400

Tech Whirlers,

I'm having a discussion with colleagues about the term "granularity" with
respect to a cartographic product I'm working on (a programming product --
libraries, APIs, etc). The dictionary didn't help on this issue. Sorry, I
don't think I can replace the word "granularity" for now -- it's a legacy
term.

The question is how to refer to things that people call "granularity levels"
and I'm questioning some terminology an SME is proposing. I'm trying to come
up with the best terminology I can given the current product, and I fear
that some phrases might be less confusing/misleading than others. Just from
hearing these short phrases, I'm curious about *your* expectations or
assumptions with these phrases.

I don't want to bias your answers by telling you more details in advance.

1) What would you guess is the meaning of:
"XYZ has the highest granularity level."

2) What would you guess is the meaning of:
"XYZ is the highest granularity."

2) What would you guess is the meaning of:
"XYZ has the most granularity." means?

3) What would you guess is the meaning of:
"XYZ is the most granular."

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they *all* sounded weird. :-)

Thanks for your help for a strange question!

And if you have any general comments about the word "granularity" and other
words that convey similar meanings*, I'd love to hear them...

-- JX

* for future versions of the product

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com