RE: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post

Subject: RE: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:36:59 -0400

Chuck Martin [mailto:cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com]

> If you don't know your users at least as well as you know
> your product, how
> can you communicate effectively with them?

You do what the rest of us do, who don't have either time
or a budget to visit customers: you fake it.

You spend a lot of time with Sales Engineering and with
Customer Support, both of whom spend their days immersed
in the customers' lives and inner workings, and you try
to bring some of that second-hand understanding into your
product documents, in addition to your knowledge of how
the product works "in vitro".

And you re-visit with each product release, watching the
incoming trouble reports, watching the FAQs, watching
every discussion you can find about your product and
about the companies that make use of it, and tweaking
your text to better match that dimly perceived real
world.

Did that answer your question?
Was it a surprise? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just
marvelling that there indeed ARE companies where the
tech writers get to do outlandish stuff like:

a) carry out market surveys about their documentation
with an actual budget for incentives

b) run supervised user testing with actual users, or
even with "dummies" hired to make like users

c) go on the mythical "customer visit" and actually
observe customers in the wild

d) sit down with real, live customer/users and chat about
the product, the documents, and how the latter might
improve to make the former easier/better to use in the
customer's context.

I've only ever heard about that stuff. Never met it in person.

cheers,

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com