RE: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post

Subject: RE: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:23:28 -0400

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com opined:

> But, if you need more time perhaps the situation is 4 weeks for a less
> complex situation with 3 "researching" and 1 "writing". With a more
> complex situation it may be 4 months but still with the 3 to
> 1 ratio. Or,
> as John showed, a less complex item may take 50% learning and
> 50% writing
> (1 day each).
>
> If time is a fixed variable, then it's another matter all
> together. We're
> back to my 'enough' scenario.

Going a little further with that, my experience of computer,
communication and crypto product development is that quite
often the total time for the project is a constant <g>, and
that Customer Documentation is just *one* of the components
that gets squeezed.

A situation that I've run into more than once is that the
scope of the project changes partway through -- often after
a big (project-driving, due to the pending big orders) customer
has had a chance to play with the early prototype (hardware,
software, or both). Perhaps they decide that that's not quite what
they meant, or that (having seen how it works "in the flesh",
they need some additional functionality to make it useful in
their environment. However, because they have already made
promises to THEIR customers, based on our original estimates,
and because they are bigger than we are, we start finding ways
to make the project satisfy them, without taking more time.
One possibility is that a bunch of functionality is left out,
that was expected to be widely desired in the next release,
but which is not important to the particular, driving
customer. Given that I had started my docs based on the
original requirements and specs, my draft docs are now wrong,
and I have wasted (for the purposes of the current project)
precious days documenting things that won't be part of the
upcoming release.

So, while the developers are scrambling to add/remove/modify
the product's function at a time when they were supposed to
be well past (don't laugh...) "code freeze", I am doing
similar things to my documents. I'm taking out stuff,
re-arranging other stuff, and putting in stuff that was
never formally predicted. Not only that, but since everybody
is so squeezed, the updates to the engineering docs that
describe the revised function and design will likely be
issued just after the product ships. Meanwhile, all the
prototypes that QA/PV and your faithful author are working
from are wrong-wrong-wrong. Rebuilding them needs to be fit
into the newly-crunched schedule, so that PV will have something
vaguely resembling product to test. I'll have my updated unit
just about the day that I'm getting my completed docs signed off,
so that they can go onto the "final" release-candidate software build.

But the deadline never budges.

I see a lot of people nodding in recognition of their
job/situation descriptions. :-)

Coping with that, and even enjoying the challenge is about
the best form of "job security", don'tcha think?

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com