[semi-OT] Using Anchor tags with query string parameters

Subject: [semi-OT] Using Anchor tags with query string parameters
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:01:22 -0400

Sorry for the semi-OT message, but it relates to documentation in that I am working on online docs and am having an HTML issue...

Is it possible to use (non-local) anchor tags with query string parameters? If so, how?

Example:
---------page.php---------

<A HREF="page.php#topic1?type=unix">Go to Topic</A>
<A NAME="topic1">

This doesn't work. The browser does nothing because it interprets the anchor tag as "#topic1?type=unix" which doesn't exist. Trying iut the other way around doesn't work either (?type=unix#topic1) because then the value of type is interpreted as unix#topic1.

I can think of a possible solution: use a POST form, but that would require implementing the page differently, which I don't want to do.

Thanks for any help, on or offlist.

--------

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer