Re: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post

Subject: Re: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:53:59 -0700 (PDT)

> No argument philosophically. But what the PHB hears
> you say is: "blah blah
> My doc will be late, blah, I can't figure out the
> software blah blah..."

Well, I don't wax philosophical if I can't make it
corporeal.

To me, a PHB is as useless as a '64 mustang up on
blocks.

If they won't listen, then they're not doing their
job. Personally, I take offense at other people I work
with not doing their job, and I call them on it. And
no, I don't do so without covering my behind first,
and I call them on it using business cases. I *always*
tie my arguments down to the bottom line (revenue and
cost). A PHB cannot counter that, not with good
backing info. The good backing info will only blow
more holes in the PHB's weak argument.

So, to relate it back to "cutting edge" tech writing
skills... Become intimate with your company's
business, and tie what you do to the bottom line. If
you are visibly and actively working with the
COMPANY's best interests in mind, your PHB/CRAP woes
will fade.

And that's not speculation or theory. It's how I
conduct myself at work, and it works.

Of course, if you joined a company that's screwed from
the top down, well, there's no saving you. But, if all
your woes begin with a PHB or three, you *can* reason
your way outta the CRAP, the misunderstandings, and
the shallow requirements you are fed.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com