Re: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post

Subject: Re: Refining My "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills Post
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:46:05 -0400

Goober Write wrote:
> Third, I would reply and engage in constructive
> conflict.
>" ... I will gladly spend more time writing and
> less researching that which I'm writing about, but be
> cautioned that this approach could lead to time wasted
> reworking the facts in the document."

No argument philosophically. But what the PHB hears you say is: "blah blah
My doc will be late, blah, I can't figure out the software blah blah..."

PHBs don't care about rework or wasted time. They think tech writing is easy
and you are just BSing them, so they will wave off your thoughtful synopsis
and tell you to just start writing. For these guys, just send 'em the last
version with a few changes, one chapter at a time, and tell them to review
it. That'll buy you some time while you develop the new content for the real
manual.

Mike O.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com