ADMIN: TECHWR-L Web archive changes

Subject: ADMIN: TECHWR-L Web archive changes
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:11:13 -0600

Gang,
The TECHWR-L archives at http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/
have been slightly changed. All email addresses in the archives
are now being obfuscated to help deter spam-bots from taking them.
It should be possible for people to figure out where to send
email, but the 'bots--at least at the current technology level--
shouldn't be able to.

This change to the archives represents a development that's a little
disturbing to us. For the first time, we're actually changing
the content of email messages--any email address, even in the
body of a message, will be altered. This seems to be an unfortunate,
but necessary, step, given where the 'Net is heading.

As several of you noted, the archives stopped updating a couple of
times over the last few weeks. It appears that the flood of
email caused by the recent Microsoft virii managed to both simulate
an unsubscribe message AND an appropriately timed confirmation
message with the right content, thus signing the archives off.
(We were getting some 1200 viruses/day, so that's not really too
surprising.) The missing messages have been restored, and we're
back in business w/ complete archives. (And we think we've applied
enough new filters to keep that from happening again...but if you
see the problem, please let me know ASAP.)

Yell with questions,
Eric (and Deb)
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com