Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?

Subject: Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Rick Bishop <BishopR -at- jcdc -dot- jobcorps -dot- org>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:44:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Rose: As a TW manager, I sometimes ask the typing
> speed of an applicant during interview and note it
> on my response sheets, but have not advertised for a
> certain requirement or tested anyone.

As a TW manager, I never ask. I screen out applicants
that look unproductive or inexperienced and go for the
ones with demonstrated experience. My line of
interviewing is very direct with very subversive
undertones. I drive the technical questions hard and
really don't care about the info they say back so much
as how they present it. Squirm factor is important.
Much more so than typing speed. Of course, I'm in the
software industry, so chances are slim that someone
will pass the squirm test and not be able to type at a
decent rate. After all, if they know their stuff with
regard to software, they must be able to navigate a
keyboard fairly well.

- Goober

"Just tried touch typing again. What a mess."

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com