Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?

Subject: Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:18:32 -0500

Rose,

I would say "the last time I was tested I typed 120 wpm." This is the truth, and I realize there is the potential for the sin of omission since I am not giving the date of that typing test, which was ~10 years ago, but I am making the assumption that since I have continued to type my speed couldn't have decreased that much over 10 years.

Hiring managers and recruiters have said that if you omit something in your cover letter, for example if the ad asks for your salary history and you don't address it at all, then that is a reason to disqualify you from the process. It's better to be vague than not address something. If it's in the ad the company obviously felt that this little nugget of information is important.

Michele

--
Michele

"I've learned that sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand." Andy Rooney
www.krautgrrl.com

Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com wrote:

Hi, tech writing amigos,
I have joined the ranks of the recently laid off as of yesterday.
Somewhat of a shock, but I am bearing up well.

What would you put in your cover letter if you were me? Would you
mention a wpm claim that you are unsure of? Would you mention how many
years it has been since you've tested your skill? Would you just ignore
that requirement and hope you got an interview based on your other
sterling qualities? Etc., etc.