Re: Managing documentation in a rapid/agile/extreme programming environment

Subject: Re: Managing documentation in a rapid/agile/extreme programming environment
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:22:58 -0700 (PDT)

> Most of what I've been able to find on the web about
> documentation in
> agaile environments is about internal code
> documentation rather than about
> product user documentation. Does anyone who has
> worked in an
> agile/rapid/extreme environment have any
> recommendations about managing
> user documentation in that environment?

If your internal code is well documented and you have
solid specifications to work from (which you need in a
successful rapid dev environment) then Hackos'
workflow should still be valid from an end-user doc
perspective. You shouldn't look at it as a "chasing
after development" situation, rather, a "harmonizing
with development" one, in which a writer or group of
writers work hand-in-hand with them to completely
document the underlying code. Preferably this should
be done in a way that end-user doc writers can use
portions of source docs or gleen from them more than
enough to pull together the end-user processes.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com