Re: SME vs. Audience

Subject: Re: SME vs. Audience
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:36:07 -0400

<twriter01 -at- mindspring -dot- com> wrote:
> As a technical writer, I would like to be the SME and "one with my
audience." However, that is not always the case. If you have to pick one
path, which would you choose: be "one with your audience" and interview
your SME for information that you know your audience needs, or become an
SME, and then write for the intended audience, or do something completely
> different?

Neither.

I want to know what the SME knows about (A) and know what my audience needs to DO with (A) and then explain to the audience the parts of (A) that they need to understand in order to do their jobs---explain it more clearly and efficiently than the SME would.

A simple ambition, really. <g>
--
K@ Kat Nagel

.