Re: Biomed - Wave of the Future - Evolve?

Subject: Re: Biomed - Wave of the Future - Evolve?
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techpubs -at- genek -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:40:54 -0700

"Biomed" breaks down into two general areas, pharma (drugs) and device.
It's quite difficult to transition into pharma if you don't have a technical
background in medicine or biology.

Now, here is where I disagree. I am working in a biotech arena, a gene expressions laboratory. (http://www.genome.gov/glossary.cfm?key=gene%20expression). I know nothing about drugs, medicine, or biology. I simply document software being built for use inside our laboratory walls. I haven't written a help manual yet (our policy is -- if the scientists have questions, they can come down the hall and see us).

This may be the wave of the future in biotech; as more sophisticated computer systems are required for drug discovery, software developers are needed to build the software, and technical writers are needed to ensure that the documentation required by the FDA under 21 CFR Part 11 (http://www.21cfrpart11.com/) is complete.

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963