Re: Web site maintenance by non-technical users

Subject: Re: Web site maintenance by non-technical users
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L list <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:12:13 -0400

We are not permitted the use of anything beyond basic HTML and pre-approved cgi scripts (I haven't been able to find out what scripts are available, though I've asked).

Any suggestions?

Does the site owner want to play with graphics, or just update text (course descriptions, names of faculty, special event descriptions, etc.)? If the latter, see if you can convince the Powers That Be to let you use a blog.

I know a web developer who uses blog scripts (mostly movabletype.com, one radioland.com) to make web site updates easier for non-geek clients. He sets up the page template with pretty pictures and navigation links, and a center column with a blog script for content that will vary from page to page.

The set-up can be hairy, but your professor doesn't need to be involved in that phase. Once it's up and running, updates are as easy as writing an email message. New content replaces old content within the blog DIV and the client never has to mess with anything other than plain text.
--
K@ Kat Nagel