RE: Prolegomenon vs. Preface

Subject: RE: Prolegomenon vs. Preface
From: "Jenny Igoe" <jenny -at- fgm -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:43:50 -0400

Rose Wilcox wrote:

> I too got the M-W word of the day and I thought the entry was quite
> clear in the distriction:

Yes, the distinction between prolegomenon and prologue was quite
clear...however, my question is about the difference between prolegomenon
and preface.

Is preface the same as prologue?

Some definitions I've been sent give "preface" as a synonym to both
prolegomenon and prologue. It seems that in general usage all three terms
are interchangeable, it's just that prolegomenon is somewhat archaic (and a
pain in the butt to type). Because MW made a distinction between prologue
and prolegomenon I wondered if there were one involving preface, and figured
there are people on this list who are way smarter than me and might just
know something like that. :-)

--Jenny

Jenny Igoe
Technical Writer