RE: Prolegomenon vs. Preface

Subject: RE: Prolegomenon vs. Preface
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:12:07 -0700

I too got the M-W word of the day and I thought the entry was quite
clear in the distriction:

"'Prologue' usually refers to an introduction to a literary work or to a
speech addressed to the audience at the beginning of a play.
'Prolegomenon' is most often used of the introduction to a work of
scholarly analysis. Both words can also be used in a broader sense to
refer generally to something that serves as an introduction."

The distinction lies not in meaning, but in usage.

The usage of the word in common technical writing is probably not
viable; however, knowing the meaning the word might help when doing
background research.

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which
difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -John Quincy Adams