Re: Is being technical writer boring

Subject: Re: Is being technical writer boring
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:28:26 -0700 (PDT)

---------------------------
Louise asks
The words 'boring' and 'dull' feature heavily in their
response, so what I really want to know is 'is technical writing
boring??'.
---------------------------

I think Bruce summed it up very well. This job can be fun or boring. It depends on what you make it, and on your expectations. I'm lucky enough to be writing for a very large product line, so I get to write about a variety of topics that keeps this job interesting. Sure, you might end up "chained" and those chains may be mighty boring, but that can be said for any job.

I'd say do it if:
* You enjoy writing
* You enjoy rewriting
* You enjoy bothering people with questions and dodging the resulting flack (tongue and cheek comment)
* You enjoy learning
* You enjoy working with people
* You don't expect to become rich

"This is either madness or brilliant."
"It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide." -- Will Turner & Captain Jack Sparrow
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com