Re: technical writer degree programs

Subject: Re: technical writer degree programs
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:47:56 -0500

Janice wrote:

>Hi, I currently write technical documentation for Hewlett Packard's
server division and
>have been doing so for several years. I also do phone support and
troubleshoot
>hardware/software issues on servers.

>I was previously in the desktop publishing business for 10 years, and I
had my own scoping
>business, which was editing and proofreading court documents.

>HP will pay for my degree, but I'm having a hard time finding a 4-year
college in my area
>that offers a degree in technical writing. The closest I've come to it
is a bachelor
>degree in Technical Journalism, which I would only have to take two
"reporting" type
>classes than the rest I could gear towards technical writing, or so
I've been told. I
>haven't checked out the classes or curriculum yet, but I will very
soon.

>Would I be better off in my field if I were to get a bachelor's degree
in English?

>Thank you!

I am not sure of where you are currently located, but there are a number
of good schools with a "technical writing" degree. I went to the
University of Minnesota and majored in Scientific and Technical
Communication. The program focuses on what is expected in then field and
in my opinion the program provided me with an excellent foundation of
knowledge and skills to be a technical writer.

I am not sure, but I believe the STC website has a listing of schools.

As for getting an English degree... I am going to pass on commenting on
that as I do not want to appear pompous--or off-base with my opinion.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...