RE: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?

Subject: RE: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: 'Eileen Neumann' <eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:48:24 -0400

> projects myself, but wanted to offer this example of how this
> can go awry.

Just as with everything else, what projects you work on cannot be done so in
a vacuum.

I'm not advocating taking a thoughtless approach to this and I'm not
advocating doing this if you believe it is against your manager's or your
company's way of doing things. What you choose must be free from
encroachment on other people's responsibilities or territories, and if there
is the chance it does, they need to be queried.

OTOH, don't let the fear of what "might" happen get in the way of productive
results. Personally, my approach is that I'd rather take the initiative and
apologize later than ask permission and have nothing get off the ground, but
that's me. YMMV

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

**********************************
This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or may be
CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE,
and (b) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If
you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
necessary to
delete the message completely from your computer system.

Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transaction
Act or any other law of similar effect, absent an express statement to the
contrary,
this e-mail message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
intended to represent
an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise
intended to bind
this sender, barnesandnoble.com llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other
person or entity.